Friday, November 11, 2011

The Moon and Stars

Balance and Symmetry. Finding either in the Fall is like chasing and catching the Northern Lights-it cannot be done. The weather gets colder, the Sun takes a much-needed vacation, the Moon hangs high up in the air. Probably what affects me the most is the Light Deprivation-it's almost like walking around in a semi-haze; a fog that never quite dissipates. And Depression and Anxiety are always a threat during the winter months. I suspect that the rays from the Sun are essential for Spiritual Maintenance but I cannot base it on anything other than anecdotal evidence-pure conjecture for the time being.

I don't know how they deal with it up in Sweden and Norway-but I am intrigued since I've always been partial to colder climates. Being from Chicago will do that to you. Light Deprivation is referenced continually in many reality shows.  One of the topics that I found most disturbing and tragic was the high incidence of teen suicides in the Eskimo populations-the show attributes them to the lack of youth employment opportunities, alcoholism and Light Deprivation. Isolation and extremely cold climates: A deadly combination?


"Miss You" from the Rolling Stones-a happy little jem that was hiding out in one of my many play lists. The song reminds me why we all used to worship the Stones-the vibe, the catchy hooks, lyrics and swagger. Sure it came from the Disco Era, but, like, who cares? The breakdown in the middle where Jagger, supported by a fat bass line is half singing, half talking is a stroke of genius. "Welcome to the Machine" by Pink Floyd. I'm sure I've already mentioned this song as occupying a permanent place in my playlist. Big Brother, Minor Keys, Analog Synths and probably some illicit substances thrown in for good measure-these ingredients, and more are to be found in abundance in "Welcome to the Machine." A picture from the past into the future.


One last song is the Wild Card but an explanation is in order here-I will in all probability catch a lot of flak. At the gymnasium where I train the staff began playing this one annoying song like six times an hour. They did this for about a month straight-I wonder who's idea that was? It's a strange sensation executing bench presses while being extremely angry-I guess that's how it is in Prison. Eventually the song wore me down with its cheesy lyrics and equally cheesy little beat. So now I apparently like Teeny-bopper music-Sad. Blame the Gym.The song: See No More-Joe Jonas. Music and a lot of Reading are the antidotes for the Wintertime Blues. Also don't forget the Beatles "And I Love Her."

No comments:

Post a Comment